Synopsis: Twisting Tornadoes
Tornadoes are capable of serious destruction. What gets them twisting? Where do they get their energy? How can we protect ourselves when a tornado is approaching?
Find the article:
- Where is Tornado Alley? What causes its unique tornado activity?
- What are the conditions necessary to start a tornado?
- What is the difference between a Tornado Watch and a Tornado Warning?
- Where is a safe location during a Tornado Warning?
- What is the ultimate source of the energy that drives a tornado?
- Make a tornado! Using only 2-liter bottles and some duct tape, try the tornado-in-a-bottle activity shown in the Why File’s very own tornado article. The Exploratorium also shows you how to do this.